We are currently hiring a Lead Tasting Room Associate.
- Silva Brewing is a 1,200bbl/year production microbrewery located in downtown Paso Robles, CA producing hand-crafted draft beer for direct sales on premises as well for local distribution in San Luis Obispo County. Additionally, we hand-bottle limited, special releases of our fresh beer and barrel aged offerings.
- Our tasting room provides an opportunity to interact directly with our customers providing a personalized tasting experience, sharing our knowledge and passion for our beer. Part of our customers’ experience is the chance to buy beer-to-go whether it be a hand-bottled special release or a freshly filled Growler jugs or Crowler cans. Customers may also purchase our custom branded Silva-wear apparel at the tasting room.
Position – Lead Tasting Room Associate
- The Lead Tasting Room Associate position at Silva Brewing is a dynamic roll where a prime candidate is willing and eager to perform tasks in all aspects of a small brewery’s business. The role of this position will focus on creating a beer-centric experience and providing friendly, knowledgeable, and responsive service that will create an exceptional experience for our customers. On any given day the job will entail assisting the Co-Founders with customer service, clerical, receptionist duties and tasting room operations. In addition, the job may entail maintaining inventory, record keeping, and other responsibilities as they arise. To be considered for this position, the Lead Tasting Room Associate candidate must be hard working, responsible, and a self-motivated individual with passion for craft beer exuding a strong desire to share brewing knowledge and continue learning about crafting beer, all the while striving for continued growth within the industry. The candidate should also be a sociable person who is always comfortable representing the brewery in public. Natural desire to take on responsibilities, integrity, loyalty, and a good sense of humor are all traits of a prime candidate. This is a part time position (minimum 30 hours a week), must be available to work Tasting Room hours Wednesday through Sunday. The Tasting Room is currently open to the public Wednesday-Friday 2-7pm and Saturday-Sunday 12-5pm.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Tasting Room
- Immediately welcome and greet all customers with enthusiasm and friendliness.
- Provide excellent customer service to all customers, with the goal of engaging in conversation, creating regulars, and maximizing the customer experience.
- Respond promptly and appropriately to all customer requests and concerns.
- Educate all customers about the core and seasonal beers available on our current draft menu, the history and the culture of the brewery and the craft beer industry, and the difference between beer styles.
- Maintain full knowledge of recipes main ingredients and other pertinent information about core and seasonal beers available on our current draft menu.
- Take customer orders in a timely and prompt fashion, following all applicable laws and company policies on verifying identification and the maximum amount of beer to be served to customers.
- Apply all guidelines for responsible alcohol service.
- Wash and sterilize glassware.
- Assist in restocking of beer inventory, supplies and Silva-Wear merchandise, including monthly physical inventory.
- Follow all required sanitation and safe serving guidelines and regulations.
- Ensure consistent stocking of kegs, merchandise, and/or packaged products for sale to customers.
- Maintain comfort and cleanliness throughout the tasting room and bar work area.
- Promptly report all equipment and maintenance issues to management.
- Operate the point of sale (POS) system.
- Complete cash handling and credit card transactions, and balance the register at the end of each shift. Record customer gratuities as trained and/or as required by law.
- Follow checklists and standard operating procedures.
- Constantly work to increase knowledge of craft beer and beverages, including attending trainings and meetings put on by brewery management and/or related craft beer associations and brewers. Train and educate staff as needed to keep craft beer skills/knowledge up to date at all times.
- Maintain highest customer service and professionalism with customers, management, and coworkers. Demonstrate flexibility in scheduling and assist as needed with ensuring all shifts are appropriately staffed.
- Schedule cleaning and maintaining of draft lines.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Perform all clerical functions.
- Utilize computer skills
- Create and update forms
- Maintain office filing and typing
- Maintain accurate record keeping and accounting
- Answer calls and take messages.
- Monitor and order office supplies.
- Make travel arrangements and support traveling staff.
- Assist Co-Founders with research, typing, correspondences, faxes, filing and daily notes.
- Assist in the development and implementation of brewery/tasting room related Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and maintain updates.
- Assist in planning and scheduling festival/promotional events, brewery activities and brewery meetings.
- Assist with charitable contributions.
- Assist with incoming and outgoing mail and UPS/USPS/FedEx packages in a timely fashion.
- Prepare and ship online merchandise transactions.
- Perform other tasks as needed.
- Operations and Extra Duties
- Participate in safety training.
- Cover lunches for other team members.
- Represent Silva Brewing at public tastings, festivals, and events.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalency.
- Minimum 2 years of work experience with bar/restaurant, brewery, winery, and/or bartender experience.
- Possess basic math skills and the ability to handle money.
- Possess or be able to obtain training on alcohol service (LEAD), within 60 days.
- Possess strong knowledge and enforcement of ABC laws.
- Possess working knowledge of craft beer industry. Cicerone Program Certified Beer Server (Level 1) certificate required or obtained within 60 days of employment, Certificate Cicerone (Level 2) preferred.
- Able to lift heavy objects (25-50 lbs.) on a continual basis. Able to transport up to 170 lbs. (full kegs) with assistance. Able to stand, walk, lift, and bend for up to 8 hours per shift. Able to work in crowded and confined spaces.
- Able to maintain excellent customer service and professional appearance suitable for customer interaction while working under pressure.
- Must have a valid California driver’s license and a good driving record.
- Must be able to read and comprehend written and oral instructions in English; read and comprehend safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedural manuals, brewery recipes, material specifications and identifications.
- Strong organizational habits with a self-motivated work ethic.
- Good critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Exceptional cleaning and sanitizing ability.
- Must have manual dexterity sufficient to operate a wide variety of small hand tools, and computer equipment.
- Proficient in Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Possess timely and effective communication skills.
- Must be able to multi-task, and manage time efficiently.
- Can work unsupervised when required.
- Availability to work nights and weekends. Shift is Wednesday – Sunday.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Other tasks may be assigned as needed.
- An associate’s or higher degree from a 2 or 4 year college.
- Able to pass a post-offer, pre-employment background check.
- Must be able to effectively communicate in English.
- Strong work ethic and self-starting attitude.
- Excellent communication and record keeping.
- Strong knowledge of brewery industry and market.
- The desire to work in a fast-paced, growing company.
- Able to sit for extended periods; use hands to handle or feel and talk or hear.
- Able to stand for prolonged periods.
- Able to stoop, crawl, twist, turn, lift, kneel, climb ladders and stairs.
- Able to manipulate valves and clamps.
- Able to read and follow written English instructions.
- Able to regularly lift and carry 55 pounds overhead repeatedly.
- Able to lift and transport items weighing up to 170 pounds.
- Able to work in a factory production environment which may be loud, slick, humid, and hot.
- Able to work in indoor and outdoor environment with moderate noise and sometimes slippery floors.
- Able to use visual, taste, and smell senses for sensory analysis.
- Able to comply with safe chemical handling procedures, including regularly wearing personal protective equipment such as gloves, googles, and dust respirator.
Work Environment and Applying
Employee frequently works in a brewery environment with moderate amounts of noise and activity including materials handling equipment moving in the workspace. The work environment is fast-paced and demanding.
Silva Brewing is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Before applying for this position, it is important that you read the physical demands listed above and make sure that you meet the requirements.
To apply for this position please send a cover letter and your resume to MJ Silva via email: email@example.com.
Please be sure to include the following information in your cover letter:
- The primary reason that you are interested in working at Silva Brewing
- List the reasons why you believe that you are the right candidate for this position
- Your availability and preferred start date (this position will become available December 2017)
- Your desired rate of compensation, compensation will be based on relevant experience
Please be sure to include the following information in your resume:
- Relevant brewery industry experience and any other notable work history
- Your educational background, including any formal and informal brewery coursework
- Your strengths and relevant skills or talents
- Personal & professional references with their contact information (at least two professional references, one of which should be a former or current supervisor plus at least one personal reference not a relative)